Friday, April 29, 2011

I have to do WHAT? Adventures in doing laundry in Beijing...

I’ve officially had my “stupid American” moment.  I am beginning to see that the creature comforts I’ve grown accustomed to in the States are not only luxury items here, they just aren’t a part of everyday life for most Beijingers.  I was in for a rude awakening:
We are unfortunately still in our hotel for another couple of weeks before our apartment is ready for move-in.  As we enter into our 11th day in Beijing, you can imagine that 4 people have accumulated quite an amount of dirty laundry.  
Plan A: We decided to ask the front desk of our hotel if they have a laundry service.  Much to our chagrin, laundering/dry-cleaning for one shirt costs 26 RMB, which is about 4 bucks a shirt.  Well, that’s not going to work for the 44 shirts, 22 pants, 88 socks…you get the picture.  We're not about to pay over a hundred bucks for laundry.
Plan B:  We then asked our fellow FAO’s in Beijing if they knew of a laundromat in town.  No one had recalled seeing one, and for these folks who have lived here for a year by now, rest assured that there really aren’t any laundromats in Beijing, not ONE!
Plan C:  My language barrier with the hotel staff required me to have my husband inquire further about this dilemma of ours, which in hindsight probably made me look like an even more spoiled, ignorant, and aloof American.   We asked the concierge again what he recommends we do about finding a place to do laundry.  He answered my husband's question, but gestured to me….I knew where he was going with this.  In english he finally said “you have a bathtub and a sink, do your washing there”. 
Plan D:  Panic!  I wasn’t raised in the 1930’s!  On one hand, I’d consider myself a good cook, and I know my way around domestic household items like a vacuum, dishwasher, washing machine.  But I’ll be the first to admit that I have ZERO hand-washing skills when it comes to clothes.  And believe me, I did try.  I filled the bathtub with only the bare essential clothing that NEEDED washing, added the laundry soap that I had packed in our suitcases, and started scrubbing.  My husband thought this was hilarious, so unfortunately I actually have a picture to share as evidence of my efforts.  See!

Plan D was an epic fail.  I attempted washing our wool socks, and after a couple of days drying on the line, they REEKED!  They were still slightly damp, and probably smelled worse than when they were thrown in the dirty clothes pile.  
Plan E:  FORTUNATELY, some of our FAO friends offered up their washers and dryers if we needed it.   Well we need it.  So I have found time to post this blog while waiting for my second load of laundry to finish washing, thanking my lucky stars for friends in western-friendly, luxurious housing well-equipped with a washer and dryer. 
So to our FAO replacements coming in a few months, here’s my offer now in case I forget when you get here.  You are MORE THAN welcome to our washer and dryer at our place while you’re getting settled in Beijing!  Paying it forward is the least I can do. 
*Another travel note to others about to embark on similar moves like us:  I bought the Method brand laundry soap from Target. 

It’s SUPER concentrated, so I can wash 25 loads with a 10 ounce bottle.  And our clothes are coming out SUPER clean.  You will definitely want to pack some kind of detergent, and I highly recommend this brand.  Not the cheapest but definitely a competitive price and VERY convenient for packing a few with you!

So lesson learned for my great laundry adventure:  Don't assume...ever!  And I  really have to work on hiding my face of shock.  When that concierge told me to just hand wash all our clothes in the bathtub, I distinctly remember my jaw dropping to the floor.  There is plenty of shock value around this city, but it doesn't mean I have to wear my reaction on my face.  I'll have to keep working on this.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious!! Glad to hear you were finally saved by fellow FAOs! Need any more laundry detergent from Target or anything else that I can send? Don't hesitate to let me know!
    P.S. Love the blog, awesome writing skills! You should be a journalist!

    ReplyDelete